Beyonce’s Lemonade Recipe

April 29, 2016

Beyonce_lemonade_020

You can’t be alive right now and not know about Beyoncé’s latest visual album, Lemonade. It’s everywhere. And it’s amazing, blew me away. It was so raw and powerful, and absolutely visually stunning. I loved every second of it and haven’t been able to stop listening. I hardly ever make music purchases anymore (Spotify all day, amiright? ) but I just couldn’t not purchase this album. It’s too good.

The theme is pretty clear: Beyoncé (or the character she’s portraying) has been dealt some seriously sour lemons in the form of infidelity but she won’t be broken– instead, she’ll make lemonade. Towards the end of the film, Beyonce lists the ingredients and directions of her grandmother’s lemonade along with a very poetic tribute:

Take one pint of water, add a half-pound of sugar, the juice of 8 lemons, and the zest of half of a lemon. Pour the water from one jug into the other several times, strain through a clean napkin. Grandmother, the alchemist. You spun gold out of this hard life. Conjured beauty from the things left behind. Found healing where it did not live. Discovered the antidote in your own kitchen. Broke the curse with your own two hands. You passed the instructions down to your daughter, who then passed it down to her daughter.”

I’m almost embarrassed to admit I made Beyoncé’s lemonade. But I did. I was so curious, I needed to know what it tasted like.Beyonce_lemonade_021

The verdict? It’s really nice– very lemony and crisp. But far too sweet for my taste buds. Half a pound of sugar is a lot!! It seems more like a lemonade concentrate to me. We’ve been cutting it with a splash of sparkling water and it makes a great fizzy lemonade. But the best addition so far? A shot of bourbon! Highly recommend! I served it over a ton of ice in a crushed Lemonhead rimmed glass. Also highly recommend!! -xo

Beyonce_lemonade_015

Beyonce_lemonade_013

Beyonce_lemonade_010

Beyonce_lemonade_001

1. April 29, 2016 2:03 pm

I *LOVE* that you made this!! You’re like 50 steps ahead of her future cookbook ;) XO

2. April 29, 2016 3:41 pm

Hahaha, I knew it was only a matter of time before I saw that someone actually made the recipe. This is great, I bet Beyonce’s lemonade (like the album) is amazing :-)

3. April 30, 2016 2:43 pm

looks so good

4. April 30, 2016 2:44 pm

i want one now
    (haven’t had dinner !!!)

5. April 30, 2016 10:02 pm

Well done! Love the crushed lemon heads, great idea!!

6. May 1, 2016 6:53 pm

Such pretty and bright photos. it’s starting to get really really hot an lemonade is a staple all through the summer months at my place.

7. May 1, 2016 7:39 pm

I was hoping to see somebody do a blog on this! <3 LOVE!

8. May 2, 2016 12:48 am

This is so so good. You’ve made me want to actually listen to Beyonce’s lemonade, I’ve mostly been ignoring the media posts (I tend to develop an aversion to anything that goes viral!). The sentiment sounds lovely and as for the lemonade? I love the idea of adding sparkling water! Yum. Gorgeous photos too x

May 2, 2016 8:08 pm

I’m with you on the aversion to anything viral. I felt so basic posting this recipe but I just cow;nod’s help myself. The visual album was on HBO for 24 hours only and I couldn’t pass up the chance to see it. It did not disappoint! The sparkling water is a great addition. Had some today! Tastes like Pellegrino Limonata!

9. May 5, 2016 11:02 am

Mmmm your pictures look so appealing! I feel like going making some for myself now hahha :)

10. May 12, 2016 8:38 am

Looks delicious! Wanna try this out soon!

11. September 14, 2016 10:40 pm

I plan to share your post in my blog https://hellocreativestimes.com. Since you have enabled sharing on your post, I am assuming that you are allowing others to share this post. However, if you have any objection to sharing your post, please let us know as soon as possible. Thank you.

12. December 10, 2016 9:23 am

Thank you for making this! I furiously wrote down the recipe after painstakingly playing then replaying her recipe but this is way better!! Can’t wait to try with a shot of tasty bourbon.

1. Bey’s Lemonade — {love+cupcakes} Blog – Sensational Statements
  2. Beyonce’s Lemonade Recipe — {love+cupcakes} Blog – livingstonehouse729's Blog
  3. Beyoncé’s Lemonade – Hello Creatives Times