Cool brands doing cool things

August 27, 2013

cool_brands_doing_cool_things_001

I don’t talk about my day job all that often, but incase you were curious, I’m a writer. A copywriter to be specific. I work in advertising. And because I’m freelance, I often have the pleasure of working with really cool brands and ad agencies. I’ve had an on-going relationship with TOMS for the last year and a half, and I’ve got to say, they are maybe my favorite client ever. Such a cool brand to work for. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted in a job – to work for a stylish, forward thinking brand that’s making a difference in our world. I can’t tell you how many campaigns that come out of TOMS have made me cry. It’s amazing to see your efforts change lives for the better. It’s also amazing to learn about all of the other brands out there that are also making a huge difference in the world. Here are a few that I wanted to share with you.

Apolis, is “a socially motivated lifestyle brand that empowers communities worldwide” through the creation of jobs in developing countries around the world…and even some here in our own backyard. They manufacture many of their products right here in LA! I’m in LOVE with their men’s clothing line, it’s so manly and handsome.

Tegu is a brilliant toy company that has created a line of magnetic wood blocks in Honduras where it’s creating long-term jobs and changing economies. Not only that, they harvest their wood sustainably and support reforestation projects in the country. My kids will definitely play with Tegu one day. In fact, I love these block so much… I think I may need to buy some for myself!

Lastly, Lemlem is an amazing apparel and accessories company started by Ethiopian model, Liya Kebede to benefit traditional weavers in her native country. Lemlem is keeping both the art of traditional weaving alive in Ethiopia and women weavers employed, allowing them to send their kids to school, get healthcare, and live better lives. I love how effortlessly polished the entire Lemlem line is. I think I could live in it.

Do you have any favorite brands that are giving back? I’d love to know. -xo

1. August 27, 2013 5:01 am

I love Tegu!

2. August 27, 2013 7:58 am

Awesome info Paola! Apolis looks right up my alley. Please keep more posts like this coming. I’m taking notes :)

3. August 28, 2013 12:18 am

thank you so much for this !!! it really helped open my eyes to what I want to be doing . I’ve recently made the career jump from chef to marketing (odd I know) and am looking to become a creative strategist , Ideas such as these are what is slowly changing our perception of the world and I hope to one day count myself among the many innovative and idea driven people such as yourself who play a vital role .
    Thanks again for this post .

4. August 28, 2013 9:01 am

Hi lovie! I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award!
    Check out my post on the award for details and more info: http://stylishinsuburbia.com/2013/08/28/the-versatile-blogger-award-yay/
    xo, Kenzie

5. August 29, 2013 9:31 am

Wow, these are great! It must be so rewarding working with clients like that :)

6. August 30, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for letting your readers know about these awesome companies! I love the products and the companies’ missions.