Homemade Beauty 05: Brown Sugar Lip Scrub

August 2, 2013

Brown_Sugar_Lip_Scrub_001

Brown_Sugar_Lip_Scrub_003

Brown_Sugar_Lip_Scrub_002
Okay ladies (and you gents listen up too!), it’s time for some serious lip service. The literal kind. Exfoliating your skin is pretty common, but how often do you think about those poor little lips of yours? They need love too. We use them for everything from smacking to smooching and yet, a little chapstick is usually all the love they see. Scrubbing away dead skin cells leaves your lips soft, supple and supremely kissable.

So, what are you waiting for? Get ready to pucker up!

p.s. Have an amazing weekend! -xo

Brown Sugar Lip Scrub

INGREDIENTS (use organic wherever possible)

1 tablespoon Raw Coconut Oil {Note: Extra virgin olive oil can be substituted}

2 teaspoons Brown Sugar

1 teaspoon Honey

Small glass jar

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine all ingredients in a small glass jar.

2. Scoop a tiny amount onto your finger and gently rub on lips, moving in a circular motion for about 1 minute. Rinse with a warm damp cloth and voila! Softer, kissable lips!

Do this once per week!

**************************

{BENEFITS}

COCONUT OIL

• Moisturizes
  • Rich in antioxidants
  • Natural cleanser

BROWN SUGAR

• Natural humectant-draws moisture from the environment into the skin.
  • Excellent source of glycolic acid -encourages cell turnover and generates fresher, younger-looking skin.
  • Topical exfoliant – exfoliates dead surface skin and reveals healthy skin underneath.

HONEY

**************************

Disclaimer: I am by no means a medical expert or esthetician. These home remedies are based on my own research, opinions, likes, and experiences. I’m sharing them because they have worked for me. If you are allergic to any of the ingredients that I am suggesting, please DO NOT attempt the recipe. If you have any other concerns, please consult your doctor. Thanks, I love you, please don’t sue me!

1. nataliejo210 permalink
    August 2, 2013 12:19 am

I love this article! I just started a blog and it would mean so much if you could check out my site! Followed btw xx

2. crystalrosewhite permalink
    August 2, 2013 12:40 am

Reblogged this on The Starving Artist and commented:
    This is going to make a great homemade gift for friends and family as well as one for myself!

3. August 2, 2013 5:37 am

Have never tried lip scrubs at home, this recipe surely helps. Thanks

4. August 2, 2013 6:52 am

This is so simple! I am going to try it:)

5. August 2, 2013 8:00 am

I love it! Do you think you could also use this on the rest of your face?? Sounds lovely :-)

6. August 2, 2013 8:36 am

I must try this. What a unique recipe!

7. rizzor7 permalink
    August 2, 2013 11:47 am

I love it! I made it with EVOO and it felt amazing. Great recipe! :)

8. August 2, 2013 11:51 am

This sounds so lovely! Will have to try it.. And your disclaimer is cracking me up… But I guess better safe than sorry ;)

9. orgasmafoodie permalink
    August 2, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for sharing! Now I don’t mine anymore & I have all the ingredients in my kitchen. :)

10. August 3, 2013 4:02 am

This sounds lovely! :-) And the pictures are sooo good.

11. August 3, 2013 6:09 am

I just started my blog and would love it if you would run by. Thanks in advance.

12. August 3, 2013 12:08 pm

Thank you for posting this! I love your blog btw, it makes me feel happy :)

13. August 4, 2013 4:38 pm

Love this and I actually have everything I need in the kitchen to try this tonight! Thanks for sharing, I never thought about giving my lips a scrub :)

14. August 5, 2013 10:13 am

Definitely want to try this one! Being extra kissable never hurt anyone… I think. Anyway, you and I both should publish our collections of recipes and home remedies. Then we can trade them.

15. August 6, 2013 7:23 am

I LOVE your homemade beauty column! Keep it coming!

16. August 6, 2013 12:28 pm

this is so cute and your pictures are so nicely done!

17. August 7, 2013 11:38 pm

Nice pictures I think person who can’t red will understand it so quickly..I really like your beauty slipway…thanks for sharing…easy and quick :)

18. August 9, 2013 8:12 am

A friend of mine recently gave me a facial scrub much like this one as well as a face lotion with coconut oil in it. After using both of them, I told her I wanted to eat my face. In a good way.

19. Kate permalink
    August 13, 2013 7:25 pm

How long do you think you could store this for? I’m just wondering if it goes bad or if you would have to refrigerate it or anything? Looks like a great diy!!

August 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi Kate,

You can store this in the fridge for up to a month. Enjoy!

• Yvonne permalink
        January 18, 2014 11:37 am

I was wondering why it needed to be refrigerated? All the items you used can be stored on the shelf for a much longer time period that 1 month. Does that change or something once mixed? Thanks!

January 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Yvonne,

You’re totally right that all of the ingredients have long shelf lives outside of the fridge, but as a precaution, I always put my homemade beauty products in the refrigerator. Since it’s mostly raw, organic etc. I just feel safer keeping it all refrigerated.

20. VVernhard permalink
    August 20, 2013 11:15 am

Hat dies auf KP28 * Soul Food rebloggt.

21. August 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Lovely! I’m afraid I’d just start spooning it into my mouth instead of putting it on my lips, though. :)

22. August 26, 2013 7:53 am

Lip exfoliation? This gent will give it a try. Thanks, Paola.

23. October 18, 2013 6:07 am

I’m definitely making this for winter! Thanks :D

24. November 2, 2013 8:16 pm

i just posted something similar on my blog! ( http://madebysos.blogspot.ca/ )
    check it out and follow!

25. November 16, 2013 8:38 pm

will make this for sure! check out our shoppe

26. December 1, 2013 10:06 pm

Ohh I have all these ingedients so I will definitely be trying this out, thanks so much for the idea!!

27. Chloe permalink
    January 21, 2014 9:51 am

Do you have to melt the coconut oil first or keep it solid? Thanks! I’m excited to try this :)

January 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi Chloe,

No need to melt the coconut oil, just mix away!

28. February 13, 2014 11:38 pm

Heya are using WordPress for your blog platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.

Do you need any coding knowledge to make your own blog?

Any help would be really appreciated!

February 14, 2014 6:36 am

Hi Donnie,

I am using WordPress as my platform and I cannot recommend it enough. I’ve tried BLogger and Squarespace, and I found them hard to maneuver. You do not need coding experience, all of the free themes are pretty self-explanatory and intuitive– but knowing a little CSS or HTML definitely helps with customization. There are tons of tutorials on You Tube to help you get through any rough patches. Hope this helps! Good luck!

1. Foodless Friday: Five Things | Masala Art
  2. Honey-Sugar Homemade Face Scrub | Beauty by Baybune
  3. A DIY Holiday: 10+ Unique Gift In A Jar Ideas
  4. 10 Fun Gift Jars | The Big Clock Store
  5. Happy 2014! | {love+cupcakes} Blog
  6. Top 10 Homemade Skin Care Products from Brown Sugar
  7. 76 Genius Ways to Use Coconut Oil in Your Everyday Life | Perfect Your Lifestyle
  8. 76 Genius Ways to Use Coconut Oil in Your Everyday Life
  9. Nat.App.Health.4.u
  10. 76 Genius Ways to Use Coconut Oil in Your Everyday Life | ANTI-AGE ME | Revealing the Secrets to Living the Highest Quality of Life
  11. Go Coco On Coconut! (60 Ingenious Ways to Use Coconut Oil)
  12. Coconut Oil Addiction | Sunshine Impressions
  13. 76 Kerala Coconut Oil Uses For Everyday Life - Iqsoft Blog at CantonIntl
  14. 76 Kerala Coconut Oil Uses For Everyday Life | Muhammed Sahal Pallipurath
  15. 76 Kerala Coconut Oil Uses For Everyday Life | Mohamed Iqbal Pallipurath's Blog
  16. 76 Kerala Coconut Oil Uses For Everyday Life | Azad Palestine's Blog
  17. 76 Kerala Coconut Oil Uses For Everyday Life | Iqsoft Blog at Role Steel
  18. 76 Kerala Coconut Oil Uses For Everyday Life - Just another Iqsoft site - Iqsoft Blog at Role Agencies
  19. Top 10 Homemade Skin Care Products from Brown Sugar | Viseem
  20. Coconut,an unsung gift of Nature | Gifts of Nature
  21. 21 Amazing and Unexpected Ways Surfers Can Use Coconut Oil | The Inertia
  22. 21 Amazing and Unexpected Ways Surfers Can Use Coconut Oil - Yogado - Yoga News
  23. Homemade Beauty 05: Brown Sugar Lip Scrub - AllDIYIdeas.comDIY Ideas