Homemade Beauty/03

April 17, 2013

coconut_oil_001

coconut_oil_012

When I first discovered oil facials, I was skeptical. Putting oil directly on my skin? Wouldn’t that clog my pores or make me break out? Seemed illogical. But then I started doing research and found that good oils, like extra virgin olive oil and raw coconut oil, actually deep clean, exfoliate and moisturize your skin all at once! They even remove make-up!! I love the way my skin feels and looks after a coconut oil cleanse. It becomes bright, glowy and very supple. Plus I smell like cookies for a few hours!! Talk about a win/win!

coconut_oil_010

coconut_oil_009

coconut_oil_005

Coconut Oil Facial

{Note: Extra virgin olive oil can be substituted}

INGREDIENTS (use organic wherever possible)

Raw Coconut Oil (found in most grocery stores)

1 terry cloth face towel

1-2 cups very hot water (I use my tea kettle)

DIRECTIONS

1. Start with dirty skin, no need to pre-clean. Scoop about 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil into the palm of your hand and rub to melt slightly.

2. Apply all over your face in a circular motion and massage for a good 5 minutes. I like to do this lying down on my bed, it’s more relaxing. Leave on for another five minutes and prep your hot water in the meantime.

3. Bring water to a boil on the stove or in the microwave. Place your towel into a shallow bowl and carefully pour water over it to soak. {Note: You can also wet your towel under running water and zap in the microwave for 10 seconds}

4. Being careful NOT TO BURN YOURSELF, wring your hot towel out and steam the oil away by dabbing it on your skin in sections– chin, cheeks, forehead, nose, etc. Reheat your towel as necessary. Try to keep towel as hot as possible during this step but please don’t burn yourself!

5. Gently pat dry and voila!

Do this 2-3 times per week, morning or night!

**************************

{BENEFITS}

COCONUT OIL

• Moisturizes
  • Rich in antioxidants
  • Natural cleanser

STEAMING

**************************

Disclaimer: I am by no means a medical expert or esthetician. These home remedies are based on my own research, opinions, likes, and experiences. I’m sharing them because they have worked for me. If you are allergic to any of the ingredients that I am suggesting, please DO NOT attempt the recipe. If you have any other concerns, please consult your doctor. Thanks, I love you, please don’t sue me!

1. healthiestbeauty permalink
    April 17, 2013 12:03 am

Reblogged this on The healthiest beauty.

2. April 17, 2013 3:40 am

That’s interesting…Coconut oil is gud for under eye circles & dark patches/tan too……

April 18, 2013 11:32 am

Oooh! I didn’t know that! I could sure use a cure for under eye circles!! Thanks! xo

3. W Jones permalink
    April 17, 2013 4:03 am

i am going to do it!

April 18, 2013 11:33 am

Enjoy!! It’s a fun at home spa day thing to do :)

4. April 17, 2013 5:15 am

Could not agree more. I have grown up with coconut oil massages before my bath both for my body and my head ever since I was a baby. I have followed the practice with my children and whenever I get the luxury of time for myself as well . I have found that eczema disappears when I massage my kids’ skin with coconut oil. My kids love their coconut oil massages too.

April 18, 2013 11:35 am

I can’t believe it took me over 30 years to discover oils for beauty use! I’ve gotten so many comments from people telling me that they’ve done it all they’re lives. I will definitely be passing this practice on to my kids (when I have them!!!). xo!

5. April 17, 2013 5:55 am

I always have an adverse reaction to extra virgin coconut oil on my skin. Is raw coconut oil different?

April 17, 2013 8:34 am

Hmmm, I’m not sure if you’d have a better or different reaction to raw vs refined coconut oil, if you’ve had allergic reactions in the past. Olive oil works just as well, it’s probably best you stick to that. Or maybe consult your dr. Or dermatologist first.

6. April 17, 2013 6:40 am

I’ve been meaning to look up directions for oil facials, and am SO excited that you posted directions (and that I don’t have to look)! Can’t wait to try it!

April 18, 2013 11:36 am

Yay! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I find it so relaxing, it’s fun to pamper myself with almost no effort :)

7. April 17, 2013 8:04 am

Before you use the coconut oil, you could melt gently in hot water, stir in a drop or two of essential oil (like frankincense for “mature” skin, or ylang ylang for oily, lavendar for relaxation, etc)…then allow the coconut oil to cool and use it in the facial. (I blog Holistic Health on rondasnow.wordpress.com in addition to the Vampire Diet blog where I’m logged in now). Thanks! Love+Cupcakes is one of my fave blogs to read :)

April 18, 2013 11:41 am

Awe, thank you for your kind comment! It totally makes my day to know you enjoy my little blog! Thanks for your take on this facial too, I’ll give your method a try very soon! xoxo!

• April 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Let me know how you like the aromatherapy part of it or if you have any problems. I’m sooooo impressed with ylang ylang for the old “T-zone”. Keep up the great work with the blog :)

8. April 17, 2013 9:06 am

I love this!! I have been using coconut oil as my moisturizer for over a year now. It’s the best!

April 18, 2013 11:40 am

I totally agree! I also discovered coconut oil as a moisturizer/beauty product about a year ago and have become completely obsessed. I buy very few beauty products nowadays thanks to it!

9. April 17, 2013 7:35 pm

i’m intrigued…i’m gonna try it!

April 18, 2013 11:36 am

Please do! Let me know how you like it!

10. brandaline permalink
    April 17, 2013 9:16 pm

I do this too :) works very well.
    Coconut, olive, and grapeseed oil are my go to moisturizers for body and face.

April 18, 2013 11:38 am

I haven’t tried grapeseed oil yet, I’ll have to give it a try ;) thanks!

11. VVernhard permalink
    April 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Reblogged this on KP28 // MAGAZIN.

12. VVernhard permalink
    April 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Reblogged this on KP28 * Soul Food.

13. April 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi! I have a surprise for you in my blog
    Visit Easo 20

14. May 3, 2013 1:58 pm

Reblogged this on Everything Irvin and commented:
    ooooh!

15. June 18, 2013 10:57 am

I love coconut oil, I´m a little bit scare to try this because I use to have really bad acne problems as a teen. I have scars on my face because of that and every now and then I have breakouts. But I´m so curious.

P.S. Your blog is so lovely I´m def following it!
    Kisses Ela

16. March 28, 2014 9:54 pm

I tried this tonight and my skin feels wonderful! How often do you do a facial like this?

March 31, 2014 10:16 am

I try to do this about once per week or whenever my skin feels like it needs it.

17. April 2, 2014 1:48 pm

I kind of do this same thing except I just put the steaming towel over my face and just gently press it against my skin without rubbing it and then I repeat maybe 5–8 times. I just started reading your blog and I really like it so far :)

18. Tanya permalink
    November 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Good tip!

the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

1. Pure Fiji Pure Fiji Sugar Rub – Pineapple 15.5 fl oz – 15.5 fl oz · WWW.INFOPAGESHUB.COM
  2. Coconut Oil Good - Facial  | Coconut Oil GoodCoconut Oil Good
  3. My Coconut Oil Obsession | Send Me on My Way
  4. An Open (Love) Letter to Coconut Oil - Getting It
  5. Here’s What You Want To Know Before Putting Coconut Oil On Your Skin | viralvivo
  6. Here’s What You Want To Know Before Putting Coconut Oil On Your Skin | SaltyPepper
  7. Here’s What You Want To Know Before Putting Coconut Oil On Your Skin | Just My Spot
  8. Here's What You Want To Know Before Putting Coconut Oil On Your Skin | I'M NOT SERIOUSI'M NOT SERIOUS
  9. TiffinSingh – Best recipes Ever
  10. Here's What You Want To Know Before Putting Coconut Oil On Your SkinUpdates News | Updates News
  11. Here's What You Want To Know Before Putting Coconut Oil On Your Skin |
  12. Here's What You Want To Know Before Putting Coconut Oil On Your Skin - Buzz And Gossip - Buzz And Gossip