Make This: “Glamouflage” Coasters

April 8, 2013

DIY_Glamoflauge_Coasters_007

DIY_Glamoflauge_Coasters_005

DIY_Glamoflauge_Coasters_002

Last week, I stumbled upon Parima Creative Studio and fell head over heels for their fine art prints. This one, in particular. I love the painterly quality and the look of glam camo. I immediately knew I wanted to use this technique to make something crafty and I happened to have a stack of plain cork coasters waiting to be tszujed up .

Making these is fairly simple, and imperfections are totally welcomed. In fact, the more random your strokes, the better. I absolutely loved how they turned out and the process was totally cathartic – something about watching these guys come to life,one color at a time, was really satisfying.

I sort of want to “glamouflage” everything now. I think I’ll continue using this inspiration on other mediums – canvas shoes, perhaps? I hope you dig this craft as much as I do!! It really opened my eyes to abstract painting, and made me feel confident that I can create something beautiful without having to be too careful or calculated.

Now go off and create!

p.s. I think these would make a wonderful hostess gift, a fun activity at a shower, or even place cards & favors at a wedding – just tie each with twine or ribbon, add a name and table number, and voila!

DIY_Glamoflauge_Coasters_012

Choose your favorite acrylic paint colors, use the tape to mask off the edges if necessary (I just went for it, I’m crazy like that!).

DIY_Glamoflauge_Coasters_010

Give each color a few minutes to dry before applying the next.

DIY_Glamoflauge_Coasters_011

I kind of like the color palette below, maybe next time I’ll stick with just one or two color families.

DIY_Glamoflauge_Coasters_009

Finish off with a gloss varnish like this one or glossy Mod Podge for high shine.

VOILA!

1. April 8, 2013 4:41 am

Great Idea!!!!!! thanks for teach me how to do coasters!!!!! i will desing my own!

April 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Yay! You’re welcome!

2. April 8, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for this lovely idea to make your own personalized coasters! x

April 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Of course! I hope you make something you love Sophia!

3. April 8, 2013 10:57 pm

Love your blog! Check out mine and maybe you’ll find something that sparks your interest and follow me :) Talk to you soon!

April 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Thank you so much! I will definitely check out your blog, thanks for the introduction :)

4. April 9, 2013 12:56 am

This is awesome! Ooh, the possibilities… Thanks for sharing!

April 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Right!??? I totally agree, I feel like I can make so many versions of this. You should see more of Parima Studio’s designs, very rad!!

5. Sasha permalink
    May 20, 2013 9:58 am

Do you find that your coasters end up with a tacky texture after you paint them?

May 20, 2013 10:36 am

Hi there! I didn’t find any tacky finish to the coasters. I sealed them with a clear coat and they were nice and smooth :)

6. Andrea permalink
    May 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Where did you buy the coasters?

May 28, 2013 8:50 am

Hi Andrea, I bought my coasters at Cost Plus World Market, but Amazon is a great place to find them in bulk :)

• Andrea permalink
        May 31, 2013 6:49 pm

okay! thanks so much I actually found them in wallmart in the garden section and they turned out great! thanks for the idea and the help (:

7. Aubrey permalink
    June 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Love this idea! I found similar looking coasters, but they’re a bit flimsy. Do you think this will be a problem? Just worried that the paint might crack if it’s bent.

June 24, 2013 3:15 pm

The coasters I used, which I found at Cost Plus World Market are made of cork but do not bend at all. They’re quite thick. I haven’t had any issues with cracking. I’d say you need to try it out and see, I can’t say for sure whether the thickness of your coaster will affect the paint and cracking. Good luck! I’d love to know how they turn out.

8. Cheri Rolett permalink
    July 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Do these coasters absorb the moisture or stand on top of the coaster? I make river rock coasters which do absorb the moisture so I was just wondering about the cork with the acrylic sealant. I love the artistic look of these coasters.

Thank you!
    Cheri

July 12, 2013 12:09 am

The cork itself is painted and does not absorb moisture. The acrylic is enough to seal the cork. I hope that helps!

9. Amy permalink
    July 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Love this idea. I have some wooden coasters I received as a gift and think they are rather boring. Would this work on them? Thanks

July 14, 2013 8:56 am

Definitely! Wood is a great surface to paint on! Have fun crafting :)

1. Dress to 2013