From the kitchen: Ham & Brie Baguette {with Membrillo}

March 5, 2013

Spring_picnic_016

Ham_Brie_Baguette_005

Spring_picnic_018

Yesterday I shared with you the lovely picnic that we enjoyed over the weekend. Today, I’d like to share my favorite picnic sandwich: Black Forest ham, double cream brie, and membrillo (quince paste) on a french baguette or ficelle. It’s a perfect blend of sweet, salty, crunchy and creamy…and it travels well. No tomatoes or heavy condiments, means your bread stays crisp and delicious. And while this sandwich is perfect for a day spent outdoors, it’s just as good from the comfort of your favorite picnic spot on the couch. Do you have a favorite picnic sandwich? I’d love to know! – xo

Ham_Brie_Baguette_006

Spring_picnic_011

Ham_Brie_Baguette_003

Ham_Brie_Baguette_001

Ham_Brie_Baguette_007

Ham & Brie Baguette with Membrillo

Makes 4 sandwiches

INGREDIENTS

4 demi baguettes or ficelles

1 package of membrillo (quince paste)

½ lb fresh sliced Black Forest ham (about 3 slices per sandwich)

12 ounce wedge of double cream brie, sliced evenly and divided among 4 sandwiches

4 large butter lettuce leaves

DIRECTIONS

Slice baguette and spread membrillo on the both pieces of bread. Layer the toppings on the bottom half of the baguette starting with lettuce, ham, then brie. Wrap tightly in butcher paper and tie it off with a string. Voila! Now you’re ready for a picnic!

1. March 5, 2013 10:31 am

That sounds (and looks) perfect. Of course everything you do looks perfect! I would never put together such a lovely picnic, but maybe you’ll inspire me one of these days! I saw the pickles in the other post…. :)

March 7, 2013 5:51 pm

Awe, thanks Carmel! I’ll take this as a challenge! Guess I have to amp up my game to get you out there picnicking in style! Those pickles are CRAZY good, and EASY! You’ll love ’em!

2. March 5, 2013 6:47 pm

I yearn for some decent ham … Can barely imagine the bliss of a double cream Brie, but it’s the bread I’msalivating for! Look at it. Crisp, caramel-ly upper crust, light and chewey inside, and the smell …! Yes, it’s good bread I’m missing most of all. I’ll never take such simple pleasures for granted again, let alone a picnic sandwich of such regal taste sensations.

3. March 5, 2013 11:31 pm

Can I tell you I have been gluten free and meat free for a few months now. This sandwich embodies everything I’m missing in life. lol! I love doing roasted veggies and hummus on a baguette or nice hearty wheat

March 7, 2013 6:14 pm

I wish I could go gluten-free! I’ve tried it a few times, but it’s no use. Breads are my weakness. We have been buying udi’s gluten-free sandwich bread lately for home use and we love it, so that counts for something I hope. I was a vegetarian for 9 years! But I started eating meat again when I moved in with my now husband and I’ve really never looked back :) Veggies and hummus on anything sounds delicious!

4. One-Half Hippie permalink
    March 6, 2013 4:54 pm

Loving how amazing you make a simple sandwich look…YUM

March 7, 2013 6:15 pm

Thank you! It’s amazing what a little parchment paper and bakers twine can do for a ham sandwich!

5. VVernhard permalink
    March 7, 2013 10:42 pm

Reblogged this on KP28 // MAGAZIN und kommentierte:
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhhh…… da bekomm ich schon wieder ordentlich Appetit

6. March 24, 2013 1:17 pm

This looks like the most perfect sandwich ever!

7. March 31, 2013 7:05 am

So glad to find your blog! Love your pieces on fashion, life and food so big yay for me and big love for you! :)

1. From the kitchen: Roasted Beet Salad with Aged Balsamic & Goat Cheese | {love+cupcakes} Blog
  2. Ideas para un picnic (I) | Escarabajos, Bichos y Mariposas