Wanderlusting

February 27, 2013

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_003

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_006

I’ve been bit by the wanderlust bug. Out of nowhere! Does that happen to you?! All of a sudden, I can’t get going on vacation out of my head. And not just any vacation. I’m lusting after Îl de Ré, a French island we visited on our honeymoon almost 3 years ago. We fell head over heals in love with this little island (the whole thing is only 19 miles long!) – the food, the culture, the white buildings with their brightly colored shutters. The sun set at 10pm every night. Every day we’d bike through the tiny towns, eating fresh huître (oysters), escargot, and langostine (tiny lobsters). We drank the most amazing wines of our lives (and they were so cheap!). I probably ate my weight in macarons and pastries every morning, and we indulged in french cheeses and cured meats in the evenings. It. Was. Paradise.

We loved it so much, we vowed to visit every 5 years on our anniversary. One day, when we have kids, I hope to share this beautiful place with them and have it be a part of their life story. For now, I’ll have to wait another two years before it’s once again a part of mine. Sigh.

Are you a wanderluster like me? What’s your favorite place to visit? -xo

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_013

This was the sun setting at 10pm! This sight left us in awe every night. wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_005

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_011

There are ten towns in Il de Re, each has a unique spire that you can see from miles away.

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_001

There was a daily farmers market in our town and we’d visit it each day for fresh fruit and treats.

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_012

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_007

A bike path connects the towns, making it a breeze to travel between them.

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_008

wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_002

So many beautiful stripes and tapestries to love!
wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_009

This became a daily staple. wanderlusting_Il_de_re_france_010

1. February 27, 2013 3:07 am

Wanderluster? Yes, guilty of that one… ;) There are times where I can’t stop thinking about possible vacations and the worst part: even start planning them :P It drives my boyfriend nuts, haha!

February 28, 2013 11:03 am

Ha! You’re not alone in the “driving boyfriend crazy” camp! Our poor men!

• February 28, 2013 11:32 am

Haha truly spoken ;) But I think we will make it up with a lot of good food and cake ;)

2. February 27, 2013 6:59 am

Idyllic. First word that comes to mind. I would love to visit that little island. I usually long for places in Spain, where I did my study abroad and where I have some family. We’re planning for a year-long round the world trip, starting in September, so I have the wanderlust bug pretty bad right now…

February 28, 2013 11:06 am

WOW! A year-long trip around the world????!!!! That sounds unreal and absolutely amamzing! What a wonderful life experience. I have so many questions about this. How does one plan a trip around the world? What happens to jobs? home? mortgage? And how on earth do you fund something so extravagant? My bags are packed, just give me your secrets!

3. sweptouttosea permalink
    February 27, 2013 8:09 am

This looks like an amazing place to visit! Any room to pack me in a suitcase for the adventure haha. My favorite destination is pretty close by but it feels like another world to me. That place would be Cape Cod, pretty much anywhere on the cape. My folks and I use to travel ever summer to the cape since I was about four years old. It has a lot of great memories for us I know we will not forget. I hope you will someday be able to have that with your family as well.

February 28, 2013 11:23 am

I’ll leave space in my bags for you ;)! Cape Cod is on my list of summer vacations. There’s something so magical about New England seaside towns to me. Your family vacations sound so great and memorable!

4. February 27, 2013 8:38 am

I wanderlust daily. Italy is my destination… I studied there in college, and visited when I was 13 so I have always wanted to return. But I have this pull towards going to places I haven’t been as well. My parents are surprising my sister and I this weekend with a trip somewhere (I asked for that for my birthday, and my Mom told me “psychic, we’ll talk when you visit”) we think Europe because it’s been over 10 years since we’ve been. Fingers crossed for us!

February 28, 2013 11:27 am

Allison, I studied in Italy too! In Florence when I was 19 (sooooo long ago!). We visited Venice, Florence and Siena on our honeymoon as well. I love that country so much! I understand the pull towards places you haven’t visited yet. There’s so much to see in this world. I’m excited to hear about your surprise trip! Please come back and let me know where you’re going :) fingers crossed!

5. February 28, 2013 7:17 am

Yes! I just got hit with it two days ago and now I am obsessing. And there’s nothing to do but go! It’s a reminder to me of what gets me most excited in life.

February 28, 2013 11:32 am

I like you’re style, Laura! Get bit by the travel bug? Well then go tarvel!