On good pies, bad pies, and fashion blogging

February 21, 2013

headshot_010

I’m a little camera shy (read: totally terrified). Are you this way too? I never feel like I take a good picture – I get completely uncomfortable and awkward (unless, of course, there’s booze and a photo booth involved – then I’m all in). In general though, I’m just not one of those lucky photogenic types. My smile always seems forced, I’ll do things like sneeze or look away just as the person behind the camera says “3!”. I have more photos of me with my eyes closed than I can count. Camera’s and me are just no good. But I’m trying to take this blogging thing serious and serious means having a few professional headshots. You know, the kind that go along with a bio or whatever. So, as painful as it was, last Sunday I woke up early, got my hair and make-up done, put on a cute little dress and a statement necklace (yes, there’s something called a statement necklace out there) and I walked around Downtown LA with my husband and a camera. Side note: Can I just take a moment to profess my undying love and appreciation for this man! He is my biggest supporter. And I love him to the moon. He took this shoot so seriously (like 1,000 photos serious) and helped me feel more comfortable and confident. By the end of the day, I was a photo shooting machine.

Which brings me to fashion bloggers. I don’t know how they do it. To stand in public and take a pretty photo was complete torture! I have to give fashion bloggers major props! They make it look really easy (and maybe for some it is), but it takes guts to do what they do and I have a new appreciation for their work. High five ladies!

To my surprise, I took a few photos that I actually loved. Maybe the camera isn’t so scary after all. Below are a few of my favorite shots from the day.

headshot_024

headshot_019

headshot_022

headshot_003

You know what else takes guts? Thinking you can replicate the delicious pie that you tasted at The Pie Hole during a break from the above photo shoot. I’ve always loved my apple pie with a slice of sharp cheddar. The sharp tanginess of the cheese plays well off of the sweetness of the apple filling and buttery crust. So, when I saw a cheddar crust apple pie at Pie Hole, I didn’t hesitate.

headshot_pie_014

The filling was perfect, the crust was totally unique and delicious. I knew I had to make this pie for the blog. So, the next day, I did.

headshot_pie_015

Except, my version turned out looking like this. Doesn’t look too bad, you’re probably thinking. Keep scrolling, it’s a hot mess.

bad_pie_001

Turns out, when your pie filling doesn’t thicken after baking for 30-45 minutes….you shouldn’t continue to bake for another 30-45 minutes. Pies burn! Who would have thought?!

bad_pie_002

In my excitement (and space cadetness), I forgot to add 2 tablespoons of flour to my filling. That little oversight made all the difference! Instead of a perfectly sweet, tart, cheddary pie, I had this watery, burnt mess:

bad_pie_003

Aaaargh! We win some, we lose some, friends! But I’m not discouraged. I’ll be back with the proper recipe for a homemade Cheddar Crust Apple Pie very soon! -xo!

P.S. This wasn’t the first pie I ruined. Remember this?

1. February 21, 2013 4:11 am

Your pictures are beautiful your foray into fashion blogging turned out well.

February 22, 2013 12:11 am

Thank you! I don’t know if I’d call this a foray into fashion blogging, but I’m happy that I was able to get a few good pictures that I’m not embarrassed to show :)

2. February 21, 2013 4:21 am

How on earth could you NOT love to have your picture taken? You’re gorgeous, and I’m pretty sure that helps!
    As for the pie….been there! Looking forward to the recipe!

February 22, 2013 12:12 am

Awe, thank you! You’re very sweet. Please stay tuned for the pie recipe, hopefully I get to it in the coming week.

3. February 21, 2013 4:50 am

Next time it would be better!! And thanks for showing a pie that is not perfect!! It seems like everyone is so perfet lately that is kind of frustrating! ;)

February 22, 2013 12:15 am

I totally agree! I love to see the mess-ups as much as the successes. Reminds us that we’re all human :)

4. thestylescroll permalink
    February 21, 2013 7:08 am

Love all the photos! The whole post was really sweet – love it! Following you now !

February 22, 2013 12:15 am

Thank you! Thank you! So happy to have a new reader :)

5. Carmel permalink
    February 21, 2013 7:51 am

I think you photograph well…at least from all the pictures you’ve posted prior to this. Anyway, we’re our own worst critics.

I’ve taken to the Cook’s Illustrated method of cooking down my apples prior to filling the pie and I’ve had fewer issues since. I used to be TERRIFIED of making pies, too.

February 22, 2013 12:18 am

Thank you, Carmel! I appreciate that. And I am definitely my own worst critic! I need to work on that! I love that you keep referencing Cook’s Illustrated, I need to get myself a subscription. Every recipe I’ve ever tried from America’s Test Kitchen has been excellent. I’ll give cooking down my apples a try!

• February 22, 2013 7:54 am

I’m addicted to it. It’s really hard to get recipes from other places because I know if I make their recipe, it’ll be perfect. There have only been a couple of exceptions to that. I would recommend the online subscription. It’s worth the upgrade to the Editor’s Choice membership, too. I swear I don’t work for them! :)

6. February 21, 2013 8:48 am

You look absolutely beautiful on these pictures! Can’t image that any camera anytime in the past did hate you?? :o Gorgeous! (I just told my boyfriend that if he could make pictures like these of me I would also show them to the public :P he was a bit offended by that, saying that all my pictures would look like that… yeah sure!). Can’t wait for the pie recipe (by the way, I love it when bloggers also show what did go wrong ;) we are all humans right? keep on going!) and for more pictures of course ;)
    Hugs, Rebecca

February 26, 2013 11:55 am

Awe, thanks Rebecca! You’re so sweet. And I totally agree you, I think showing our mistakes are just as helpful and inspiring as showing our successes. Pie recipe coming very soon! xo

• February 26, 2013 12:02 pm

I can’t wait :) I have a few mistakes to show myself :P haha!
        take care, rebecca ;)

7. February 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Paola, you’re gorgeous! You should definitely keep taking photos like these :)

February 26, 2013 11:52 am

Oh Rachel, thank you! I’m not sure there will be too many more photo shoots in my future, but your kind words are encouraging :)

8. February 21, 2013 7:55 pm

P Squared,

You are so beautiful and it is so sweet that your husband supports you and took these stunning shots:)

Very best,
    Meg

February 26, 2013 11:50 am

OMG! Meg, you’re so funny! I’ve never had anyone call me P Squared….but I like it! Thank you so SO much for your kind words, I am very lucky that Evan helps me as much as he does :)

9. February 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Cheese and apple huh? I have a friend who eats cheese and apple on rye bread so…why not? As for your photos – well they’re are just adorable.

February 26, 2013 11:48 am

YES! Apples and cheddar are so good together! You must give it a try :) and thanks os much for your kind words! xo

10. dccaffiend permalink
    February 27, 2013 2:33 am

You look lovely!! The statement necklace is an A+ I must say. And I think its awesome you recreated (kinda) the recipe you had from a restaurant… I had a nutella dessert last night that I might just brave. Fingers crossed haha

11. March 1, 2013 12:22 am

That pretty face deserves a lovely photos such as the ones you have above. You should do that more often. And yes! Apple and cheese are great together. I love them both together on my sandwiches, even with mangoes too. ^^

12. March 7, 2013 5:11 pm

You are gorgeous! So photogenic! :)

13. April 7, 2013 3:16 pm

Hey gorgeous, the camera loves you! Hoping to see more of your fashion post:)