From the kitchen: Green Juice No. 1

January 14, 2013

green_juice_no1_002

green_juice_no1_001

green_juice_no1_003

Happy Monday! I hope you had a nice weekend. Evan and I just finished a 3-day juice cleanse, so I thought I’d share some of our favorite juices with you. We found the cleanse to be quite trying. I’m not sure we’ll do it again, but we love juicing and we’ll continue to replace a meal here and there with fresh squeezed super foods a few times per week. It’s a really easy way to get fruits and veggies in you and you’d be surprised how delicious a fresh squeezed green juice can be. The trick to green juice is balancing out the iron-rich flavors with a little sweetness or tartness, or both. Produce like apples, carrots, and citrus fruits help a whole lot. What we’ve normally done in the past with green juice, was grabbed a handful of this, a couple leaves of that and a little bit of something sweet. Then, we’d pop it into our juicer and test it out. If it need more sweet, we’d add another piece of fruit. If it was too sweet, we’d add a little more green. We never really followed a recipe. We know what greens are good for us and even without research, we figured the fruit was really only there to make the greens easier to drink, so we’ve always added fruit in moderation. For our cleanse however, we followed the 3-day plan here, which I discovered here last week and it was really great to have actual recipes with proper portions to work from. I know green juice can be scary, but this recipe will surprise you. I promise.

Green Juice No. 1 (adapted from Reboot with Joe)

Makes 16-18 oz. of juice depending on the size of your produce. (note: this was one serving on the cleanse plan, but if you’re supplementing a meal, I recommend drinking about 8oz.)

Ingredients

2 Apples (any)

3 cups spinach

6-8 leaves Swiss chard

1 cucumber

4 celery stalks

1/2 fennel bulb

1/2 cara cara orange

Directions

Wash all of your produce very well. I do this by spraying my fruits and veggies with a homemade wash of vinegar, water and baking soda, let them sit for 5 or so minutes and rinse well. Cut everything into pieces that your juicer can handle. Follow your juicer’s instructions for use, and juice away! Serve over ice and enjoy!

(P.S. Evan prefers his juices without ice but I love them with so find what you like best and stick to that. Also, I found sipping through a straw helped me get through my liquid meals.)

1. January 14, 2013 11:36 am

healthy! Love the photos

January 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Thank you :)!

2. amedicstudent permalink
    January 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Green is my favourite colour although this is a bit hard-core for me…Amongst my favourite things in vegetable juices are carrots and beetroot, both of which unfortunately are not green.

3. January 14, 2013 1:29 pm

That recipe sounds delish! I’ll definitely be trying it. Also, where did you get your mason jars from? I understand that they’re all the rage now? :) xx

January 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Awesome Jen, I hope you like it. You can always tweak by adding a little more apple, orange, or even a squeeze of lemon to suit your taste buds. I buy my mason jars at my local grocery store, we love them and use them for all sorts of things from food storage, to drinking glasses to catchalls for doodads and such :)

• January 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Ahhh I don’t think our grocery stores sell mason jars! May have to be a job for ebay or amazon! I see people drinking cocktails out of them and I want one! Back to the juice, I’ll be going shopping this week for all things healthy and will let you know what I think :) xx

January 14, 2013 3:21 pm

I’ve ordered mason jars online, on Amazon, in fact, and they were a great deal. Plus you’ll find all sorts of sizes. Restaurant shops and bulk stores may also carry them. Good luck with the juicing and jar hunting!

4. Todd permalink
    January 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Great recipe. When I first started making green juice, I found the taste to be a bit bitter. I would add a little more apple or some grapes if I have them around (here an example, the sounds a bit low though http://omega8004.net/omega-j8004-juicer-omega-j8004-review/ )

Another tip I learned is to buy organic celery. It is one of the most “dirty” vegetables on the market as far as pesticide goes.

January 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for the celery tip Todd!

5. Vibrant Bean permalink
    January 15, 2013 8:55 am

I love juicing! Try to do it everyday. I’m the same way with throwing in a little of this and a handful of that :-)

6. January 18, 2013 4:01 am

This looks awesome! Would you mind telling me what a juice cleanse does and where people get these from? It seems interesting and I would totally try it if I knew what this actually did…. Thanks! nerdwithtaste.wordpress.com

January 18, 2013 11:32 am

Hi there! Well, I think juicing is different for everyone. This was my first time doing a full cleanse and I don’t think I’ll be doing it again as I found it difficult to be constantly hungry for 72 hours. That being said, the juices we made were all delicious and I’d make every single one of them again as part of my regular diet. I did the cleanse to detox from my everyday foods and kickstart myself into healthier eating, which totally worked for me. It’s like pressing the restart button. I think the idea of juice cleansing/fasting, however, is to give your digestive system a short break, to put a large amount of raw, whole food nutrients into your system, and to lose a few pounds in the process. All things that sounded rad to me. I’m not a nutritionist, nor am I promoting a juice cleanse, this post was just a recipe for green juice – a quick, easy and delicious way to get leafy greens into your body. My husband and I have been juicing regularly (that’s with food, not as a cleanse or fast) for about a year now and we LOVE being able to intake large amounts of fruits and vegetable nutrients at one sitting. To give you an idea, in 72 hours, we consumed 25 apples, about 40 whole carrots, 10+ cups of spinach, 5lbs of tomatoes, 3 whole celery bunches, 20-30 leaves of kale and Swiss chard, 6-8 cups of broccoli, 4 oranges, about a dozen clementines, about 10 cups of parsley, 3 fennel bulbs, 6 cups of blackberries, 12 cups of grapes, and a few other raw items. Granted, we only drank the nutrients and left out all of the fibers that go along with these fruits and vegetables, but we put an astronomical amount of vitamins and minerals into us and there is no way we would have ever been able to eat the amounts above in three days. If you want to research juice cleanses, I suggest you do a little Google search or visit one of these websites:

Hope this helps!

• January 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Ahhhh thank you so much! I was never really sure if this was some California thing where they just drink fancy juices, but I get it now. They do it for a reason. Haha! Thank you soooo much! Nerd With Taste

January 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Well, this may very well just be a crazy California thing! We love our diet fads! But a little vegetable juice never hurts! xoxo!