From the kitchen: {mini} Meyer Lemon Pound Cake

December 12, 2012

My favorite desserts are of the lemony variety-lemon bars being my ultimate kryptonite. I ran across Meyer lemons at the farmer’s market last weekend and couldn’t help but bring home a dozen (or two). I don’t think there’s anything better than a delicious home-baked present around the holidays and these little guys would sure put a smile on someone’s face. Package each in one of these cute kraft loaf molds and wrap with cellophane. Voila! A delicious gift for all of your special friends. Recipe below.

mini_meyer_lemon_pound_cakes_001b

mini_meyer_lemon_pound_cakes_007

mini_meyer_lemon_pound_cakes_004

P.S. See some of my favorite lemony recipes here, here, here and here!

mini_meyer_lemon_pound_cakes_006

mini_meyer_lemon_pound_cakes_005

Mini Meyer Lemon Pound Cake (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

Yield: 12 mini loafs

Tools: mini loaf pan available at Michael’s or any bake shop

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup plus 3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour mini loaf pan, and line the bottoms with parchment paper.

2. Cream butter and 2 cups sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Mixing at medium speed, add eggs, one at a time, and lemon zest.

3. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla. Add flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to butter and sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Divide batter evenly between pans, smooth tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

4. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan, and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves.

5. When cakes are done, let them cool 10 minutes. Invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon lemon syrup over cakes. Let cakes cool completely.

6. For glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar and remaining 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cakes, and allow glaze to drizzle down the sides.

7. Dust with confectioners sugar before serving if desired.

1. December 12, 2012 12:49 am

These adorable mini loafs look scrumptious! I will save this recipe for the time I can find some meyer lemons! :)

December 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks Veronica!! P.S. I love your blog!!! Thanks for so many inspiring recipes… I’m addicted to spicy margaritas after trying your grapefruit version :)

2. Muy Bueno Cookbook permalink
    December 12, 2012 12:51 am

Love these mini loaf molds and of course the yummy looking loafs…will put this recipe on the back burner for that time I find fresh Meyer lemons…thanks for sharing…I love love love all things lemon…gracias for sharing.

3. December 12, 2012 1:42 am

Reblogged this on foonyfunny and commented:
    This would be great for an after Christmas snack. Yum

4. December 12, 2012 4:07 pm

These are adorable! I’m sure they’d turn out great with regular lemons, too, yes?

December 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Kay, I think any kind of lemon would work just fine. I love Meyers though because they’re so sweet and produce so much juice.

5. December 13, 2012 10:25 am

I adore lemon flavoured everything. Just made lemon, orange, clove & cardamom Christmas Cookies in a bid to make them a little more festive!

6. December 15, 2012 11:39 pm

These look great! One question: have you tried freezing them and are they still moist after freezing?

7. December 16, 2012 8:24 am

This is beautiful!

8. December 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Aww, they’re so cute. Baby pound cakes. :)

9. January 1, 2013 2:47 pm

Your blog is beautiful! And those little lemon cakes- gaahhhhhhh! they look incredible. I have also just nominated you for the food stories award http://illhavetheworks.com/2013/01/02/my-first-blog-award-nomination/
    and here’s the direct link to the site. http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/

10. January 25, 2013 10:06 am

Reblogged this on CARMEN.