Scenes from Thanksgiving

November 26, 2012

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! Evan, Diamond and I drove 6 hours north to Evan’s parent’s house in Los Gatos, CA. They live 30 minutes outside of downtown in a little mountain community called Las Cumbres. We enjoyed some family time, ate a really delicious dinner of turkey, roasted winter squash, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower gratin, fresh baked whole grain sourdough muffins, orange cranberry sauce, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy (obvi) and way too many desserts –including the cheesecake and upside-down pear cake that I made. On Friday we spent a little time outdoors with Miss Diamond, enjoying the beautiful scenery and mountain air. It was a quick trip, but it was wonderful. How’d you spend your Thanksgiving? Did anyone eat anything new or interesting? I’d love to hear! Below are a few snippets of my weekend. Enjoy!

1. November 26, 2012 12:10 am

That cheesecake looks delish! Didn’t get to try anything new this holiday. We stuck to the basics but it was yummy! You mentioned having orange cranberry sauce. Now that sounds good, and like something I want to try!

November 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Thanks, the cheesecake was a hit! I should make it for the blog. You can never go wrong with the basics on Thanksgiving! Hope yours was great!

2. Carmel permalink
    November 26, 2012 8:26 am

The table looks beautiful, as do all the dishes! My mom was the only one to take pictures of the food…I was too busy cooking. We ended up with 14 people (a few more than anticipated) in our very small house. We made it work…popular and new dishes were brussels sprouts with bacon and pecans and sourdough herb stuffing (that I brushed at the end with some bacon fat and broiled for a nice crisp crust). Only sad part was not having many leftovers!

November 28, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks Carmel! Mmmmm your Brussels sprouts sound amazing! We didn’t have too many leftovers either…but I think that was a good thing :)

3. November 26, 2012 9:07 am

We cater in our food from a nearby gourmet kitchen and just re-heat the day of. Simple and delicious, especially when you’re only cooking for 4!

November 28, 2012 12:05 am

Ooooh sounds fancy! I’d love to have a catered Thanksgiving one day :)

4. November 26, 2012 1:14 pm

We had Thanksgiving at my cousins’ home…everything was very traditional, but we loved it all! I made my husband’s grandmother’s apple pie recipe and it turned out just like she used to make it, I was so happy! Looks like you had a fabulous Thanksgiving!

November 28, 2012 12:07 am

So glad your pie turned out great! Hope you had a nice holiday!

5. A Dog With Fleas permalink
    November 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Everything looks delicious and your pictures are beautiful.

November 28, 2012 12:09 am

Thank you!

6. November 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Gorgeous photos and locale! You look like you had a nice time. I’m in the Bay Area, nearby Los Gatos. We had a simple meal with the family. For Thanksgiving week I made French Silk pie (blog post to come…) and a cheesecake similar to yours – but with cranberry topping. Happy Thanksgiving!

November 28, 2012 12:12 am

Oh yay! We’re neighbors! (well, sort of….only around the holidays :) French silk pie sounds amazing, I don’t think I’ve ever had it. I’ll keep an eye out on your blog! Happy Holidays!