Food Styling with Joy the Baker & Shutterbean

October 24, 2012

First things first! My apologies for my spotty blogging lately. Trying to find balance in my busy life is proving to be very difficult these days. I’m aiming at posting three times per week (M/W/F)…please bear with me while I get myself together. And now, on to my post! Last Saturday, I flew up to Berkeley for a food styling workshop with Joy the Baker and Tracy Benjamin of Shutterbean. We learned all about tszujing (jooh-jing…look it up. it’s my new favorite word!) up our photos with layers of fabric, textures and general kitchen tchotchkes, a few key tricks about aperture and ISO, and how best to use natural light. We drank the most delicious pumpkin bourbon milkshakes and ate an incredible vegetarian lunch of tabbouleh, grilled eggplant with greek yogurt and arugula salad with fresh focaccia. I think the best part was meeting Joy and Tracy, they’re both so funny together and so SO friendly! Thanks Joy and Tracy, I had a blast!

{photography by paola parsons}

1. October 24, 2012 6:11 am

These shots are great! But what I’m more impressed by is what you had to eat/drink that day… so tasty sounding!

Alli xx

October 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Oh yes, the food was amazing! Unfortunately, I didn’t photograph our lunch, such a bummer!

2. October 24, 2012 8:57 am

So great to meet you last weekend! I had so much fun – and those are beautiful shots, you really captured the essence of Tea House!

October 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi Miranda! It was wonderful meeting you too! I hope we can keep in touch!

3. October 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Eeks! I love this! You were so nice and friendly.
    Andd I love that you took a photo of the milkshake on that tablecloth. Amazing!

October 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Awe, thanks so much Elizabeth! I was so inspired by you, wish I was half as ambitious when I was 16! I’m really looking forward to following your blog :) Keep it touch!

4. October 26, 2012 3:32 am

Amazing! I’m looking for food styling workshops in my area! Looks like you had s much fun as well!

5. sweetgreyhappenings permalink
    October 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Love Joy & Tracy! Eek – what fun!
    Great shots!
    Cheers!!

6. November 14, 2012 10:50 am

Waw, your photography through this blog is just amazing! Your lighting is incredible and I love the colour tones in your images.

7. November 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Cool! would love to hear about what they said about aperture and ISO!