The Talented Mr. Parsons

May 17, 2012

My husband has many talents, like making killer huevos rancheros, a near perfect Beaker imitation, the ability to figure out any math problem, and being super-duper handy. A couple of years ago, we purchased several beautifully aged planks of reclaimed wood from a local salvage yard with the intention of making a headboard like this one. But our busy schedules coupled with our amazing abilities to procrastinate to no end, made it so that we never got around to making anything at all. And by the time we were ready to dive into some wood working, we had outgrown the idea of that particular headboard altogether. Typical us. But since we loved our reclaimed wood, and couldn’t bear to let it go to waste, we found the perfect solution: a much needed coffee table. We borrowed the idea from our home studio, in which we built desks and work tables from solid wood doors and piping. Using the same method, Evan crafted up this simple coffee table design that we both completely love. It’s really special to have furniture in our house that we made with our own hands (I can say “we” because I helped…staining is no joke!). xoxo!

1. Jerry permalink
    May 17, 2012 8:08 am

Great looking table! Goes great with the zebra skin too!

– Dad

2. May 17, 2012 11:17 pm

I love your blog, which is why I nominated you for the lovely blog award! xo

May 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Thank you so much!!!

3. May 21, 2012 1:26 pm

This table is fantastic! If you and your hubby ever start selling tables like these, contact me! Its gorgeous.

May 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Ha! Thanks, I’ll be sure to tell Mr. P!

4. May 25, 2012 4:44 am

Love love love the table! How did he attach the under side? I love the pipe! Do they make plates the pipe can attach to? Love the blog :)

5. Kim Vander Helm permalink
    July 6, 2013 3:49 am

Hi,

I love this and we need a new coffee table. Do you have instructions??

July 7, 2013 3:30 pm

Thank you! We’re flattered that you like our homemade coffee table. Unfortunately, I don’t have detailed instructions. My genius husband basically put the thing together at Home Depot in the pipe aisle. It was really all trial and error. The boards are reclaimed wood with a varnish coating and the legs are standard pipes from the hardware store. I think it would be an awesome DIY, so if I can coax him into creating something new, I’ll make a blog post out of it in the future. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful!

6. January 10, 2014 5:14 pm

LOVE it! It’s great inspiration for the table I’m hoping to make!

What did you use for the ‘feet’? I don’t really want to scratch up our floors with pipe, lol!

Thanks!

January 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi Ashley,

The table legs are finished with pipe end caps which you’ll find with standard plumbing pipes at Home Depot or Lowes and we purchased rubber feet that are meant for stools to cover the end caps. I can’t tell you exactly which we bought but I think they’re commonly found. Good luck! And send pics if you end up making your own table, we’d love to see :)