10 Cookbooks You Need In Your Kitchen Right Now

January 27, 2014

Confession: I’m a cookbookaholic.

It’s true. When it comes to hardbound pages of text and image that demonstrate how to turn ingredients into delicious meals, I have no immunity. I must have that book. It’s a bit hoardy, I know. And in all honesty, there a good number of cookbooks in my collection that I have yet to cook or bake from (I’m working on this) but there’s something that compels me to keep growing my library– and so, I do. You could imagine my delight when I read an article in this month’s issue of Bon Appétit entitled, “The New Canon: 10 cookbooks you need in your kitchen right now.” According to BA, these are the “books that drive the way we cook today.” I happen to have received Tender, Plenty and Tartine Bread as gifts  over the past couple years but I sure am curious about the rest of these – in particular, A Platter of Figs by Chez Panis Chef, David Tanis and A Girl and Her Pig by Chef April Bloomfield of The Spotted Pig (one of my NYC faves). So tell me, are you a cookbook hoarder like me? Do you have any of these books? Would you recommend one? Maybe you have a favorite recipe in one of these cookbooks? I’d love to know! -xo10-Cookbooks_001

1) Breakfast Lunch Tea | 2) A Girl and her Pig | 3) Canal House Cooking | 4) Tender | 5) Plenty | 6) PokPok | 7) NOMA | 8) The Complete Nose to Tail | 9) Tartine Bread | 10) A Platter of Figs

P.S. This is my go-to cookbook and I recently heard an NPR interview with Roy Choi and it made me want to read L.A. Son. Have you read it?

About these ads
  1. January 27, 2014 1:24 pm

I love cookbooks too. I have to admit I’m terrible at following recipes because I adore making up and adapting recipes, but I love looking at the pictures, the fonts… I would love to browse through some of yours, hope to encounter them somewhere!

2. January 27, 2014 1:53 pm

I’ve just ordered two more I’m pretty excited about – The Food52 Cookbook and Super Natural Cooking. Two of my faves in my cookbook library are Cook in Boots by Ravinder Bhogal and The Caker by Jordan Rondel. Cookbooks are so addictive!!!

January 29, 2014 9:04 am

Cookbooks ARE so addictive!! Thanks so much for your recommendations! I can’t wait to check out Food52, Cake in Boots and The Caker!

3. January 27, 2014 2:07 pm

I am definitely a cookbook hoarder. I already have half of these! My current favorites are Wholefood Baking by Jude Blereau and Love Bake Nourish by Amber Rose. Both are only available online as they’re not published in the US.

January 29, 2014 9:06 am

Sara, I’m loving what you’re doing with your recipes lately (gluten-free, refined sugar free, etc.) so I will definitely check out Wholefood Baking and Love Bake Nourish. Thanks for your recommendations!

4. January 27, 2014 10:28 pm

I’ve been ordering a ton of paleo cookbooks since I’ve been trying out that lifestyle lately. So much fun!

January 29, 2014 9:08 am

YES! My husband and I did a 4-month Paleo stint and I was hooked on a few great paleo websites (Nom Nom Paleo was my favorite and she just put out a book!). It was such a slap in the head moment when I realized how delicious our meals could be even without carbs, sugars and dairy. It’s so easy to eat paleo, I really should do it more often :)

5. Mert Parsons permalink
    January 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Cannot imagine my kitchen without Betty Crocker! LOL Betty & I make the best pie crust ever! My favorite healthier cookbook is Molly Katzen’s Moosewood. I’m not a fancy cook, but I think I do okay.
    XOX

January 29, 2014 9:10 am

Good ol’ Betty Crocker!! Really can’t beat her. I have two of her cookbooks from the 50′s (maybe earlier) that I received as gifts one Christmas. I cherish them. I’ve even found handwritten recipes written on loose paper in between pages!

• February 18, 2014 12:21 pm

My dad gifted me the Betty Crocker cookbook his mother gave him when he moved out of the house. I use it all the time!

• Katie Howe permalink
          July 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Same here girls! you cant go wrong with a bit a betty crocker :)

6. January 28, 2014 1:02 am

You have to try the cupcake book from The Humingbird Bakery, if you haven’t tried it before. I swear by it, all of the recipes work, every single one of them!

January 29, 2014 9:12 am

I’ve made a few recipes from The Humingbird Bakery but I still don’t have the book! It’s really beautiful, I’ve thumbed through before. It’s going on my list of must-haves! Thanks for the recommendation. -xo

7. January 28, 2014 3:29 am

Great post! I’m a cook book hoarder and like you there are books I haven’t cooked from…. One day!

January 29, 2014 9:13 am

I’m glad I’m not alone!! One day we’ll conquer all of them ;)

8. January 28, 2014 4:28 am

My absolute best and most-used cookbook is not even really a cookbook – the Flavour Thesaurus is a must for anyone who loves to invent their own recipes or cook by instinct – it offers every flavour pairing known to man, even some very unexpected ones, all categorised by ingredient, and for each combination gives a selection of popular recipes. Absolutely brilliant.

January 29, 2014 9:15 am

The Flavor Thesaurus sounds right up my husbands alley. He’s a total fly by the seat of his pants kind of cook. I think I’ll keep it as a back pocket gift idea for him. It sounds amazing! Thank you!

9. Lindsey permalink
    January 28, 2014 4:37 am

I love to cook but I am still learning! Does anyone have any recommendations for beginners? Some of the cookbooks I’ve picked up are a bit intimidating.. And it’ll boost my confidence to start small!

Many thanks! Happy cooking!

January 29, 2014 9:22 am

Lindsey,

First of all I love that you’re trying to learn how to cook. Food is so good! And when you make it yourself, it’s so satisfying. I highly recommend having a copy of The Joy of Cooking, it’s big and intimidating but once you crack it open you’ll see that it’s very simple to follow and gives you the basics of EVERYTHING!! It’s a great stepping stone for venturing out with your own flavor combos once you’ve learned the foundation of a recipe. It was one of my first cookbooks and it’s still the book I reference most. Hope that helps!!

• February 18, 2014 12:22 pm

How to Cook Everything is great! It, too, is a little intimidating, but a wealth of knowledge!

February 18, 2014 2:46 pm

Yes! I have it and love it. I really need to break my books out more often though, they’re always such an afterthought.

10. January 28, 2014 6:14 am

I have to order the #1…

11. January 28, 2014 6:28 am

I kind of feel the same, but my addiction is to handcraft….special Crochet…should I say I’m crochetaholic… :)

January 29, 2014 9:24 am

Ha! Yep sounds like a serious crochet problem to me.. could be worse ;)!

12. January 28, 2014 7:10 am

i could stare at breakfast, lunch, and tea for HOURS. its photos are so inspiring… i think they were the first food photos i really got in to.

i also just picked up a copy of plenty! yay for vegetables!!

January 29, 2014 9:27 am

oh! That’s good to know! I’ve never seen the book in person but I want to so badly! Plenty is great! I’ve heard some people complain about the metric conversions not translating to the standard measurements we use in the US but I haven’t run into any issues. When in doubt, I always weigh my ingredients anyway. Happy cooking!

13. January 28, 2014 2:03 pm

I love cookbooks too but tend to have a lot more baking ones than cooking ones. I do have the Joy of Cooking and use it anytime I need to check anything American! The only one of those ten I have is the Ottolenghi, I will keep an eye out for the others!

14. Ashlee Spear permalink
    January 29, 2014 1:49 pm

I too am a cookbook hoarder. They are excellent bedtime reading material. I love your top picks list! Pok Pok the restaurant is pretty amazing so I’m sure the cookbook is as well. I have not read L.A. Son, but my husband and I are taking a Thai cooking class from Roy Choi next month–I’m sure I’ll have to pick it up after that experience!

15. January 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Love your blog! I can totally relate. Alas, the last cookbook I bought was 2 years ago and I have yet to cook from it:) However, I do look through my monthly BA subscription and always try things. Made a lovely fish stew recently. Personally, I would by the “platter of figs” just based on the cover. Cheers!

16. January 29, 2014 8:06 pm

I’m the same with cookbooks and books in general, I’m always finding books to buy. Definitely need to checkout these books on your list, But my favourite at the moment is Rachel Khoo cookbooks which i actually have cooked out of but not all the recipes.

17. February 13, 2014 1:24 am

Breakfast Lunch Tea, Tender, Plenty. You’re talking my language girl! You should check out Super Natural Everyday and Green Kitchen Stories – totally up your alley. X

18. February 18, 2014 12:26 pm

I need to take a peek at all of these! I’m a big fan of Martha Stewart Baking, my hand-me-down Betty Crocker (from the 70s), and Intoxicated Cupcakes–which is a bit more specific than the cookbooks you’ve mentioned. I’m also dying to get my hands on The Model Bakery Cookbook and Bouchon (by Thomas Keller).

19. February 19, 2014 4:43 pm

i have been looking for a good list and am so glad i stumbled upon your blog – it’s beautiful! and i’m excited to tackle some of this reading. :) tender’s already one of my faves.

20. February 21, 2014 2:35 pm

I totally agree with your list, these are great! But I must add Veg – the river cottage, and The Green Kitchen, from Green Kitchen Stories. These are my absolute favorite vegetarian cookbooks!

21. Jess Carey permalink
    March 15, 2014 5:59 pm

A big thank you from one cookbookaholic to another! Recommendations are always great, particularly loving the sound of A Platter of Figs – that whole gathering family and friends and sharing the love with the food thing is what I’m all about : )

22. April 2, 2014 11:17 am

It’s not gluten-free, paleo or vegan, but it’s a gem: Marcella Hazan’s Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking…if you like Italian food, I feel it’s a must-have! It teaches you a lot, plus nice illustrations and loads of great recipes for any time of the year. Her tomato sauce is the best I’ve made.

1. Tasty Books | The Glen House