New Column: Homemade Beauty/01

March 20, 2013

DIY_avocado_mask_005

DIY_avocado_mask_004

DIY_avocado_mask_006

DIY_avocado_mask_001

In honor of the first day of spring, I’m introducing a new column to Love+Cupcakes: HOMEMADE BEAUTY! I’ve been wanting to share some of my homemade beauty tips for a while now and seeing that today is the first day of the warmer part of the year, I figured it was the perfect moment to start. It’s time to shed our winter-worn hair and skin, and brighten up for the new season!

I’m a huge fan of all-natural skin and hair care, and whenever I can make something myself, it’s that much more satisfying for me. Just like food, I like to know what goes into the products I’m using and if there’s ever a way to make them healthier, more natural or more organic, I will. This avocado mask leaves hair softer, thicker feeling, and super shiny.

AVOCADO HAIR MASK (adapted from TBD)

Yield: Makes enough for one application (NOTE: longer hair may require more)

INGREDIENTS (use organic wherever possible)

1/2 ripe avocado

1 tablespoon raw coconut oil, softened

1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (you can also use 2-3 Vitamin E capsules as well. Carefully split them open to drain oil)

DIRECTIONS

In a blender, mixer, or food processor combine avocado and oils until smooth and creamy. Slather mixture onto dry hair and put up into a secure bun. Let sit for 20 minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual. Blow dry hair for extra shine.

**************************

{BENEFITS}

AVOCADO

• Moisturizes hair
  • High in Vitamin B & E

COCONUT OIL

• Moisturizes hair

VITAMIN E

• Antioxidant

**************************

Disclaimer: I am by no means a medical expert or esthetician. These home remedies are based on my own research, opinions, likes, and experiences. I’m sharing them because they have worked for me. If you are allergic to any of the ingredients that I am suggesting, please DO NOT attempt the recipe. If you have any other concerns, please consult your doctor. Thanks, I love you, please don’t sue me!

About these ads
  1. March 20, 2013 12:40 am

Thank you for sharing! I have all these ingredients at home and I think my hair is needs some TLC that this mask could provide!

– Athena, Between Friends Blog

March 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Fun! I always love it when I have the ingredients for a recipe at home already, makes it feel like it was meant to be :) Enjoy your hair mask!

2. March 20, 2013 4:59 am

I love this! Please do other posts on natural beauty

March 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Thank you! I’m hoping to be posting homemade beauty ideas every other week so stay tuned!

3. Carmel permalink
    March 20, 2013 8:01 am

My mom used to use warmed olive oil every few months on my hair since it gets so dry. It’s worse now that I dye it, too. This looks interesting. I’m a big fan of coconut oil–so versatile.

Just a note for your consideration…don’t ever try that homemade pore strip mask with the gelatin. Unless you don’t like your skin that much and feel like ripping it off, along with parts of your eyebrow. Just sayin…

March 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Yes! I use both olive oil and coconut oil on my hair. I like to do one or the other about once per week. Leaves my hair feeling supple and shiny.

Ha! I’ve never thought of making my own pore strips, but thank you for the tip! Seeing how I enjoy having skin and eyebrows attached to my person, doesn’t sound like fun ;)

4. March 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Yay! Can’t wait to try your recipes!

March 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks Allison! I hope you enjoy them :)

5. Mert Parsons permalink
    March 21, 2013 12:32 am

Last fall in Maine, my legs were bitten by chiggers in the tall grass. A friend sent me to the health food store to buy coconut oil, and I was absolutely amazed at how it stopped the itching! Love it when you can use something natural! You just have to be careful to not get on your clothing!
    XOX, Mert

March 22, 2013 10:57 pm

I love coconut oil. I use it for so many things! I love that it makes me smell like dessert all day long :)

6. March 21, 2013 2:51 am

Coconut oil is so versatile, in South India we use them for cooking as well. I regularly oil my hair with coconut oil and wash with a shampoo, and my hair never dries out. Your recipe for the hair mask seems like a winner.

March 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Preveena,

I agree! Coconut oil is very versatile. I’ve used it in cooking as well. A lot of the vegan or gluten-free recipes I’ve made call for coconut oil. But I think I love it most as a beauty ingredient. I use it to cleanse my hair and skin a few times per week, it feels to great and smells delicious! xo

7. March 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Reblogged this on thisisrachelw and commented:
    good to know. :)

8. April 12, 2013 9:55 am

This is amazing. Your blog is so beautiful :)

9. Chen permalink
    July 15, 2013 3:07 pm

hey, i have a question…
    can i make this a gift to someone? i mean, is it still good for use after a couple of days?

July 20, 2013 6:01 am

Hi Chen,

Unfortunately, this recipe is for immediate use. I don’t think the avocado would hold up well without refrigeration, and even with refrigeration, I wouldn’t recommend using this mask on your body after 1-2 days. But it might be fun to make a kit out of it to give as a gift! You can put the two oils into a mason jar and place it in a small basket with a couple of fresh avocados and tie it up with a bow! Include the instructions on a little gift card and voila!

10. July 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Instead of using other kinds of medications, I can resort to this.
    Makeup Remover ‘ just like lotion, can easily take off makeup with a cotton ball or q-tip, simple. that coconut oil is truly one of the healthiest oils that can be used in cooking.

1. A Face Mask You Can Eat! | Poems That Dance