From the Kitchen: Olallieberry Ice Cream

May 16, 2012

Until meeting Evan and his family, I had never heard of olallieberries (pronounced oh-la-leh berries). Olallie is a Native American word for blackberry and olallieberries are a cross between blackberries, loganberries and youngberries. They originate from Oregon and were first introduced in the early 1950’s, but now they mostly thrive in Northern California…where Evan is from. He grew up picking them once a year around this time (late Spring/early Summer) by the refrigerator drawer full…it was the largest container they had in the house! The first time I tried olallieberry was in ice cream form…and I was simply floored. It was SO good, I really had never tasted anything quite like it. Olallieberry ice cream is sweet, tangy and creamy all at once. It really sorta plays with your taste buds a bit and you’re left wanting more and more. Since Olallieberries aren’t readily available everywhere, feel free to substitute any other berry in this recipe. But if you’re lucky enough to get your hands on the real deal, I highly recommend using fresh (or frozen) olallieberries. You’ll thank me later. Recipe below. xoxo!

Olallieberry Ice Cream

Makes about 1 quart

Ingredients

• 2 cups olallieberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups heavy cream (chilled) (NOTE: Use whole milk for a healthier version but losing any more fat makes this recipe too icy. I’ve tried skim milk before but I wouldn’t recommend it…the real thing in moderation is probably a better way to go if you’re watching what you eat)

Directions

Coarsely mash berries with sugar and vanilla, using a potato masher in a large bowl. Let stand, stirring and mashing occasionally, 10 minutes.

Combine berry mixture with cream and puree in a traditional blender or using a hand blender. Return olallieberry cream to bowl and chill, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours.

UPDATE: This is an optional step but I highly recommend it. If you’re a seedaphobe like me (I can’t stand things stuck in my teeth! and weird textures give me the heebie-jeebies), STRAIN the berry cream mixture through a sieve lined with cheese cloth. This may take a moment but it’s so worth the trouble! The result will be silky smooth ice cream… and you want silky smooth olallieberry ice cream, trust me :)

Freeze mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to firm up.

Ice cream will keep for about 1 week.

About these ads
  1. May 16, 2012 1:54 am

om nom! it looks delicious!

2. May 16, 2012 2:46 am

thanks for introducing this new berry to me–the colour of the ice cream is outrageous and from the sounds of it, so is the taste

May 16, 2012 12:56 pm

You’re welcome!

3. Mert Parsons permalink
    May 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Good job, Paola!! The only thing I would add is that you can strain the seeds. Sometimes I will puree and strain the berry mixture as soon as we get home from picking and freeze it all ready to use. It truly is the best. So glad that you love making it, too!! It was always something we looked forward to when school let out!

May 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Oh, you’re right! I forgot to mention straining the seeds (which I did)…I’ll add it now. Thank you for introducing me to such a tasty treat. It’s definitely one of my favorites!

4. Taste Café Pretoria permalink
    May 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Wow, beautiful deep colour, which I adore. I recently published a recipe for Pomegranate Sorbet on my blog (www.tastecafepretoria.wordpress.com), the two I think would make a lovely duet! I have never seen those berries in SA and this is the first time I heard of them, they look delectable!

Foodie Regards,

Willie

May 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Willie, oh my goodness! Your sorbet looks amazing!! Bruleé pistachio rice paper?!!! Say what?!

• Taste Café Pretoria permalink
        May 16, 2012 9:29 pm

The rice paper with the sugar totally goes crispy and adds a wonderful texture as well as flavour to the sorbet or ice cream. Perhaps I will publish an article in future on the different types I have experiemented with over the years. It is easy and adds a lovely touch of elegance to a dessert. Thank you for loving it!!

5. May 16, 2012 3:01 pm

I want to buy an ice cream maker just to make this!

6. May 16, 2012 3:16 pm

This looks really good. At first, I thought ice cream makers are the most impractical things. trying hard to collect as many ice cream/sorbet/froyo recipes that I can make do with a food processor but it seems like the possibilities with an ice cream machine are endless. And I have come to realize that there are some quality inexpensive ones.

Thanks for sharing this, this might be the first ice cream I try making once I get my own ice cream maker.

May 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Janis! You know, I’m not 100% sure you even need an ice cream maker for this (or any) recipe. I had a friend recently give me a no ice cream maker recipe for ice cream and it called for whipping the cream mixture to stiff peaks and then freezing. I imagine that would work just fine for this as well. I’d love to know if you try….or I may have to try it myself!!

7. May 17, 2012 9:14 am

I’ve never heard about these berries….looks delicious.First time here…happy to find your blog.You have a great blog:)

Nina

8. huntfortheverybest permalink
    May 17, 2012 10:20 am

sounds wonderful. would love to try it!

9. underpr3ssure permalink
    June 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Reblogged this on underpr3ssure.

10. Jenni Hodges permalink
    October 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Stunning photos – and thanks for the new word! (it’s much more fun)

1. Marvellous Pomegranate Sorbet with Brûleé Pistachio Rice Paper « Food for Sharing
  2. Thin Mint Ice Cream | Le Food Snob