White Space

April 12, 2012

Lately, Evan and I have been making small strides in improving our home’s aesthetic. We’ve owned our house for close to four years now and we’re finally ready to invest a little and start creating a space that we’re really proud of and that reflects us. We’ve been making small but significant purchases like this rug that currently lives under my desk and these Eames replicas that are now our dining chairs. We also recently added all new lighting and drywall to our studio which has made such a positive difference in our work space. Last year, we painted our bedroom bright white (from a dark chocolate brown) and got all white linens and white curtains…I can’t tell you how much we love it. Well, maybe I can… we love it so much, that we’ve decided to paint the ENTIRE house white. I just love the clean, calm, minimalist feel of an all white room. And since, most of our furniture is some form of natural wood (or wood veneer for the few rogue Ikea pieces we still keep around), I’m really loving the images above as inspiration for our home’s future look and feel. The best part of a neutral palette, is that I can change it very easily with a pop of color or pattern when ever I want.

Some people find white boring, what do you think? Are you a fan of neutral palettes? Or is color more your thing? Also, has anyone out there painted their wood floors white or any other color? I’d love to know! Evan’s not too keen on the idea but I think it sounds like fun. xoxo!

{one, two, three, four, five, six, seven}

About these ads
  1. April 12, 2012 12:15 am

I wish my house was so neat and white. Lovely.

2. erkleerkle permalink
    April 12, 2012 12:42 am

Oh man-

I want to live in an open environment like this, simplified, clean and open.

I love the wire wrapped piping over the kitchen sink,

April 12, 2012 11:50 am

Let’s make it happen Mr.! lurve.

3. April 12, 2012 12:49 am

White – bright, clean, vibey … you can’t beat it, but there might be a few buts. If you live where it’s cold, you’ll need to add warmth in the form textures and/or colour in the winter or you will feel cold. Truly. If you have animals who jump in or out of windows, or track dirty paws in from the garden, be sure you use the latest/best wash’n wear brands. There’s nothing worse than dirty, in white. From the point of view of resale value, your partner might be right about the white floors. Most people are more conservative than you. What an exciting time you’re embarked on – fabulous. Good luck.

4. April 12, 2012 3:26 am

5. April 12, 2012 3:38 am

Sigh* I am hopeless when it comes to commenting!

However I am loving the white theme, so fresh and inviting! Those photos are fabulous inspiration, I wish my place looked like this!

April 12, 2012 11:51 am

Ha! No, you’re comments were great! I caught the misunderstanding right away and got rid of it :)

6. April 12, 2012 4:43 am

White wooden floor = good idea. White carpet = very bad idea (if you have kids, a husband, or a pet). Just so you know…

April 12, 2012 11:54 am

Aaaahhh! I have two out of the three! But luckily no carpet in our house at all, just wood floors. I think it’s a long shot that I’ll convince my husband to paint the floors anyway, he’s too practical and would worry about permanent damage and resale value…guess one of us has to stay grounded :)

7. April 12, 2012 5:06 am

I think it looks lovely, your wood tones warm it up leaving it feeling cozy rather than stark. Very nice!

8. beckscostello permalink
    April 12, 2012 7:11 am

These imaages a gorgeous. I adore neutral and white palettes I think there is something so fresh and clean about the spaces which use these colours. I always feel its easier to add some colour through soft furnishings or accessories if a pop of colour is needed.

9. April 12, 2012 7:22 am

I love white with little pops of color. Little accents here and there can really transform the look and feel of your place. For examples, a neutral bedroom with 2 big tangerine pillows on the bed. The best thing about that is you can change it up without too much work! Pillows, light shades, curtains, candles, even small items like the photos on your walls can bring a bit of color into the room. Those are my 2 cents!

April 12, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks for your suggestions! I totally agree that pops of color will make a huge impact in an otherwise neutral room. Love the idea of tangerine pillows :)

10. April 12, 2012 8:03 am

My home is all warm and natural colors but I also love all of the white photos above. So peaceful and calming! I think if it’s done right, white doesn’t have to be harsh at all. I look forward to seeing the photos of your house when it’s done!! :)

11. April 12, 2012 11:10 am

I remember seeing an episode of Trading Spaces that they painted the entire walls, floor, and everything white. It looked really bad. I think its because they didn’t vary the colors of white like these pictures do… I think that’s the key element.

April 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Oh, Trading Spaces…where have you been hiding?! I used to watch hours of that in a row! I’m kind of in love with the idea of having white floors but I think it scares my husband a bit. For now, at least we can agree on all white walls and ceiling :)

• April 12, 2012 12:33 pm

I know, whatever happened to that show? I wish it was still on! Do you remember “While You Were Out”? That’s my favorite of those decorating game shows.

White floors are kind of scary. Their solution in that episode was to install a heavy duty floor covering, staple it to the floor and paint that white. They didn’t like it… so I could see your husband’s trepidation.

12. April 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Gorgeous. Love a white space!

13. April 12, 2012 3:44 pm

my guy and i just bought wishbone chair replicas, i agree they’re the way to go!!

14. Mert Parsons permalink
    April 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Love the photos. I think you all can pull off white, but in a cold climate I think it would not work — which is not where you are! I could never have a white floor because I think you might have to mop every day. As you know, we have slate in the kitchen (which never shows ANYTHING) and oak floors and dirt colored carpet in most of the house. I like things to look clean — too bad I don’t feel that way about messy! haha I also feel that your house is YOUR house and should express what you love, and I respect you both very much for that. Is Ms. Diamond down for this? :-)
    LOVE YOU GUYS and can’t wait to see you next week!!!

April 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Miss Diamond loves white!…but I don’t think white loves Miss Diamond. We’re so looking forward to seeing you too….and just taking a break in general (especially Evan!).