Make this: Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs

April 3, 2012

Over the weekend, I did a little experimenting with natural dyes using a few ingredients that we had in our fridge and pantry already. The results were amazing. I never imagined that red cabbage would produce such a vibrant shade of blue or that turmeric can be used to dye eggs yellow! I put together a little color guide for you to follow incase you were interested. Read more after the jump. xoxo!

Start with:

• 1-2 dozen hard boiled eggs
  • deep cups or bowls for dyes (some dyes may stain porous materials so be sure to use disposables or glass)
  • dipping tool or spoon
  • egg cartons to transfer eggs after dying

2 large handfuls of onion skin + 2 cups water in a sauce pan. Simmer 20 minutes then add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar//Allow mixture to cool before dipping eggs. Dip 1-5 minutes (longer time for deeper color).

2-4 tablespoons freshly grated beets + 2 cups boiling water + 1 teaspoon white vinegar// Dip eggs 1-5 minutes (longer time for deeper color).

2-3 tablespoons chopped red cabbage + 2 cups boiling water + 1 teaspoon white vinegar// Place eggs in mixture over night. Do not touch or stir. Carefully remove the following day and allow to dry a few minutes in the spoon or dipping tool before transferring to carton.

1-2 teaspoons ground turmeric + 2 cups boiling water + 1 teaspoon white vinegar// Dip eggs for 1-5 minutes (longer time for deeper color). Clean off any powder carefully with a damp paper towel.

About these ads
  1. April 3, 2012 1:17 am

Beautiful! I really like the colour made using red cabbage – who’d have thought it would turn blue?

April 3, 2012 5:20 pm

I know, right? It was a nice surprise :)

2. MG Basurto permalink
    April 3, 2012 2:51 am

Beautiful

April 3, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks lady! Mr. Jude should be receiving a very rare egg on Thursday ;)

3. April 3, 2012 9:41 am

Seriously. Amazing. I have always wondered about natural dyes! What a great post. :)

April 3, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks! It was a fun experiment :)

4. Mert Parsons permalink
    April 3, 2012 3:55 pm

Great post, Paola! We’ve always just boiled the raw eggs in with the onion skins. Hmmm, will think about that. That wouldn’t work with the cabbage — LOL. I LOVE the colors. We have lots of red and brown onion skins to use. Love, Mert

April 3, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks Mert! Wish we were celebrating in your neck of the woods (literally) so that I can share my colorful eggs….I don’t know ANY kids!

5. April 5, 2012 6:17 pm

Cool! Though I’m a vegan, the extraction of natural colors is very creative.

April 6, 2012 10:13 am

Sireen, I admire you! I was vegetarian for close to 10 years but marrying a true carnivore really made it hard for me to stick to it (although I often think I need to go back). I’m actually curious about using the natural dye process with other mediums….maybe to dye fabric? Happy holiday!

6. April 6, 2012 9:47 am

Your eggs are gorgeous! I tried the same thing with very different results. I’m doing an Easter link up today over on my blog today. Would love it if you joined us! :-)

April 6, 2012 10:06 am

Thank you Michelle! It was my first time trying this and I was so surprised by the beautiful colors that resulted. I just linked up on your blog :)! Have a wonderful holiday with your little one….such a cutie!

7. April 10, 2012 11:55 pm

The lombarda red cabbage blue colour is just great ¡¡

8. Sherylynne permalink