From the Kitchen: Raw Almond Milk

March 13, 2012

Ever since I saw this ‘how-to’ video last year on My New Roots for homemade nut milk, I’ve been dying to make my own. This recipe is SOOOOO easy….and rather tasty to boot! It’s so versatile that it can take the place of dairy milk in almost any dish. We’ve been making almond milk fruit smoothies…banana/blueberry/vanilla is our favorite at the moment. So, how about you guys? Are you fans of nut milks? Any good almond milk uses you’d care to share? I’d love to hear them. Recipe after the jump. xoxo!

Raw Almond Milk (adapted from My New Roots)

Ingredients

• 1 heaping cup raw almonds
  • 3 cups water (for blending) + more for soaking nuts

Tools

• Blender
  • nut bag or cheese cloth

Directions

• Place almonds in a bowl, cover with water and soak in fridge over night (about 8 hours). Drain and rinse well. Place nuts into blender with 3 cups of water. Blend on high. Strain into a nut bag lined mason jar, squeezing the milk out and voila! You have raw, wholesome almond milk. Enjoy!

Note: I tried several almond to water ratios and found that 3 cups water to 1 heaping cup almonds gives us the almond flavor and thickness that we’re looking for in “milk”. Many recipes called for more water, but I found them to be…well….watery! I think the recipe above should be seen as more a of process than strict guidelines since everyones taste buds are different.

About these ads
  1. March 13, 2012 4:05 am

Do you need a powerful blender (type Vitamix) for this, or does the soaking make the nuts mushy enough for regular ones?

I’m thinking pancakes and ice creams.

March 13, 2012 8:14 am

Hi there! No VitaMix needed (although, I want one so badly, I’d find any excuse to justify buying one right now :). The soaking softens the almonds enough to blend in any old standard mixer.

Mmmmmmm…..pancakes!

2. March 13, 2012 5:55 am

That’s it? Wow, I’m a lil shocked! I’ve been trying to eat healthier and alot of people have mentioned almond milk…I know what I’m going to do later now! Thanks! =)

Lemanie’s Randomness Blog

March 13, 2012 8:16 am

That’s it! Seems too easy, huh? I thought the same thing, but really a little soaking and blending is all it really takes!

3. March 13, 2012 10:12 am

I’m in Spain and now that it’s getting warmer they will start serving like CRAZY, everywhere you go, this tiger nut milk (horchata de chufa), almost frozen with cinnamon on top. Really refreshing! :) Very cool you made almond milk yourself!

March 13, 2012 11:10 am

I love horchata and I was contemplating the idea of adding a bit of cinnamon to my almond milk so I may have to try that.

P.S. googling Tiger Nut right now!!!

4. May 3, 2012 9:13 am

sweet Jesus. I can’t wait to make this.

How long will this stay fresh?

May 3, 2012 9:23 am

I’ve read that it should be consumed within 3-5 days of making it, but I’m not 100% sure. The recipe really only yields a few servings so chances are you’d get through it pretty fast. I hope you enjoy!

5. breezy permalink
    October 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Any idea regarding nutrition info for this recipe? I know store bought almond milk typically has 30-40 cals, so just curious!