Happy Weekend + From the Kitchen: Spinach & Baked Egg Galette

February 24, 2012

My favorite part of the weekend (aside from sleeping in) is making breakfast with my husband on Sunday mornings. It’s so rare that we’re both home or available to cook when most meals are being prepared during the week so when the weekend comes, it’s nice to hang out together and do what we love most. Oddly enough, it’s usually Evan that makes weekend breakfasts at our house and I act as sous chef; but last Sunday, I woke up with an eagerness to get in the kitchen and cook up a storm. I was inspired by the spinach mixture in this recipe and decided to do a little experimenting. An hour later, we were sitting down to enjoy a very memorable at-home Sunday brunch- flaky pie crust topped with spinach, sauteed onion, feta, Black Forest ham, and a baked egg. Blood orange mimosas made our morning fête that much more festive and the requisite coffee and fruit grounded this otherwise spectacular meal. I highly advise you make this savory breakfast galette for yourself sometime this weekend…I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Recipe after the jump. HAVE AN AMAZING WEEKEND!!! xoxo!

Spinach & Baked Egg Galette

Makes 2 galettes

Ingredients (UPDATE: I made a mistake on spinach amounts, for two galettes, you’ll want about 1/2 of a 10 oz. bag of frozen spinach or about 12 oz. of fresh spinach)

• 1/2 of the Pie Crust recipe found here (this recipe claims to be the “perfect” pie crust and you know what?…I think it may be!)
  • 1/2 10 oz. bag frozen spinach, thawed (or about 12oz. fresh)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 scallion, finely chopped
  • 4 oz. crumbled feta
  • 1 tablespoon parmesan
  • pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  •  2 slices of fresh deli-cut Black Forest ham
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2-3 grinds of fresh pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350ºF

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and scallions and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes

Add spinach and cook until the liquid is released, about 5 minutes.

Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is evaporated and the spinach is dry, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Let stand until cool enough to handle, then squeeze to remove the excess liquid.

In medium bowl mix cooked spinach mixture along with feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.

Roll out pie crust to about 1/8″ thick and cut out a 6″ circle using a knife or cookie cutter, you’ll be folding the edges over so it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Place the pie crust circles on a parchment lined baking sheets and gently indent a 5″ circle on the pie crust to act as a guide so that you have at least an inch of dough to fold over the filling.

Layer spinach and ham in the center of the crust and fold the excess crust over, pinching the edges as you go. You want to create a “cup” essentially.

Once the crust has been folded over, carefully crack a fresh egg on top of the ham. If some egg runs over, that’s okay.

Bake for 18-25 or until egg whites are cooked through and crust is a golden brown. Oven temps may vary so take a peek at about 15 minutes in.

Let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

About these ads
  1. February 24, 2012 2:53 am

The galette looks delicious! I really like the addition of the nutmeg, I am a big fan! Your photos and your blog are great!

February 24, 2012 9:13 am

Thank you so much for the kind words Villy! The nutmeg adds a subtle spicy sweetness, I’m a huge fan too!

2. February 24, 2012 2:58 am

That looks amazing! I wanna have breakfast with you!

February 24, 2012 9:18 am

Ha! @ thetheivery Thank you very much! Wish you could come on over!

3. February 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Oooh, I’m not a fan of frozen cooked spinach and I don’t eat ham, but I might try a variation on this with sauteed baby spinach — it looks sooo good!!

February 25, 2012 11:50 am

Hey Melissa, I’m right there with you. I also prefer fresh spinach but since this was a spur of the moment kitchen experiment, I used what we had on hand. This is a very versatile recipe and I think you can substitute all sorts of veggies, meats and cheeses (or omit the ones that you don’t fancy as much). Thanks for your comment!!!!

4. February 24, 2012 7:38 pm

i LOVE the photos of the egg whites oozing off the galette. how mouth watering!!

February 25, 2012 11:52 am

Thank you Lannie, that was certainly not my intention (in fact, I was freaking out when I saw that the eggs were running! the perfect picture I had in my head was ruined!) but I do love how everything turned out in the end. It was certainly one of our tastiest breakfasts!

5. February 25, 2012 12:42 am

YUM YUM YUM. This all looks so delicious.

February 25, 2012 11:52 am

Thank you Meg!

6. February 26, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks for the inspiration. I substituted fresh spinach and mushrooms for frozen spinach and onions. Also added some red pepper flakes and only used Feta cheese (all I had). It turned out great though.

February 26, 2012 9:20 pm

So glad to hear, Kelly! Spinach and mushrooms is one of my favorite combinations…will have to try that next :)

7. February 26, 2012 7:06 pm

What a fabulously delish post! I can’t wait to try it!

February 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks a bunch! I hope you enjoy it!

8. February 26, 2012 8:47 pm

hi great blog! came across it as this post was reblogged on tumblr.
    just out of curiosity, what kind of camera do you shoot with?

9. love and cupcakes permalink*
    February 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Awe, thanks so much, Melinda. I shoot with a Canon Rebel T1 (it’s super old) using two lenses: a Canon 18-55mm that the camera came with and A Tamron 18-200mm macro lens.

P.S. love your name, my best friend’s name is Melinda :)

• February 27, 2012 11:22 am

oh nice, i use the same camera but the lens i often shoot with is the 50mm.
      thank you – melindas are nice girls :D